Joints can be termed as connections between bones. The scientific term used for the joint pain is named “arthralgia”. They support the movement of the body. Damage to the joints due to injury will affect the movement and cause pain.
There are different conditions which lead to joint pain for e.g. Arthritis, rheumatoid, gout, bursitis, sprains, strains, and other injuries. During national survey one-third of adults are reported of having joint pain. The most common grievance is knee pain. Joint pain, in fact, can affect different parts of the body from ankles to shoulders. Joint pains are noticed increasingly in older people.
Causes that lead to Joint Pain
Most common causes that lead to joint pain are:-
- Osteoarthritis - It is termed as degenerative arthritis because of its “Wearing Out” condition which involves breakdown of cartilage present within the joints. When the cartilage slowly wears away, bones of the body gets rubbed against each other which causes pain and stiffness, This type of joint pain mostly affects individuals above 50 years of age. This is also found in people having a family history affected by osteoarthritis.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – This type of joint pain produces chemical changes in synovium which causes thickened and inflamed, which in turn destroys cartilage and results in cartilage loss pain along with stiffness. This type of joint pain affects women three times as compared to men..
- Post-traumatic Arthritis – This type of joint pain develops after being hampered from injury caused to the joint where the cartilage and the bone do not heal correctly.
- Avascular Necrosis - This type of joint pain causes when the bone is deprived due to non-availability of normal blood circulation. The structure of the bone weakens and may damage the cartilage, without adequate amount of nutrition supplied from the blood. Joint pain may also occur due to direct injury occurring to the body’s joint.
Relief from Joint Pain
- For severe joint pain caused due to swelling, Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin, naproxen sodium, ibuprofen can provide enormous amount of relief. COX-2 inhibitors are also extremely helpful in relieving the pain relief. However, except Celebrex all other drugs have been taken out of the market, since it may lead to risk of heart attack.
- For milder ache without any kind of swelling, acetaminophen is effective, but an alcoholic should take proper precaution while taking this medicine.
- If relief is not experienced even after taking the above medicines, a stronger and more effective opioid medication is prescribed. As this drug cause drowsiness & constipation, it is advisable to use this under a doctor’s advice. By consuming Laxatives, one can get relief from constipation.
- A material found in chili pepper known as Capsaicin can relieve joint pain. This blocks substance P and transmits pain signals.
- There are many other drugs that prove to helpful is relieving joint pain. Some of them are muscle relaxants, antiepileptic drugs and some of the antidepressants. These are used to basically interfere with the signals of pain.
Most Popular Links